We are sorry, this accommodation is not available to book at the moment
Devon Sleeps 4
Brooks Cottage – BR04 Fulford Estate, Exeter, Devon
A stunning cottage that shows off the very best of Devon – and what it’s like to live in true rural tranquility.
The cottage is in the grounds of Great Fulford, made famous by TV documentaries like “Life is Toff”.
Enjoy the beautiful grounds before curling up in front of a wonderful roaring fire.
There’s is limited mobile signal – Mobiles can catch a signal at the top of the track leading to the cottage
Brooks Cottage is not suitable for children under 12
Fairly remote location
Brooks Cottage sits in the grounds of one our more famous properties – Great Fulford, setting for such reality TV shows as Life is Toff and starring the estate’s owner, the larger-than-life character Francis Fulford. While you can rent out all the grandeur of the main house, this beautiful cottage is a fantastic place to stay with a real feeling of country charm!
‘Interiors’ magazine described Lower Brook in 1990 as being ‘a cottage that grows out of field in Devon. Meadow grass and wild flowers creep up to the cobbled front step, hills bristling with oak thickets rise up on two sides of the house, and brooks border the others. There is no sign of any other human habitation, not even a tarmac road.’
The same holds true today, some twenty-four years later!
Interior & Grounds
Brooks Cottage dates back to the 1500’s, and truly appears built into the landscape, tucked into the steep slope that flanks the cottage. The house is wonderfully preserved due to being tucked awayt from the elements, and boasts an astonishing array of original features.
– Stepping through the front door you find a large sitting room to the left with grand open fire, and plenty of cosy seating.
– To the right of the entrance is the fully equipped kitchen, complete with an Aga, a Magimix and basic cooking bits like olive oil, salt, and eggs from the estate. There’s also an open fire in the kitchen with logs ready to be lit.
– The entire first floor boasts atmospheric high ceilings that add a subtle atomsphere of grandure to this quaint cottage.
– Two bedrooms on the first floor, one to the left and one to the right of the stairs.
– One bedroom is en-suite and the other bathroom is on the landing.
– Really comfortable (and very large beds) with luxurious linen
– Some good books and a backgammon board
– Basic Sky television, Wi-Fi and an iPod dock
– There’s a rear garden with small pond.
– There is a tennis court roughly 10 minutes walk away
– If it is hot, there is a lake to swim in – only a 20 minutes walk away
The grade-I listed manor house is situated a short drive from Exeter, and while the present mansion house is Tudor (16th century) with refurbishing from the late 17th century and further re-modelling from about 1800, the site itself dates back to medieval times, with the Fulford family living on the estate for some 800 years, at least since the reign of King Richard I (1189-1199).
The drive from Exeter through the quintessential high hedgerows and rolling fields of Devon, past farms and barns leads you to the sprawling and magical Fulford Estate. This idyllic cottage sits in a corner of the countryside tucked within steep corn fields meaning you really do feel transported to another world. The perfect escapism, and yet just 20 minutes from Exeter!
Terms & Conditions
Arrival time After 3pm Departure time Before 11am
– The cottage is not suitable for children under 12
– The cottage is available for short stays of 3, 4 or 5 nights.
- 1 Bedroom (Non-suite)
- 1 En-suite Bedroom
- DVD Player
- Fridge / Freezer
- High Chair
- Hub / Stove
- Ironing Board
- Private Garden
- Private Terrace
- Washing Machine
We are sorry, there are no reviews yet for this accommodation.
-BRITAIN AND IRELAND
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland was established on 1 January 1801 under the terms of the Acts of Union 1800, by which the nominally separate kingdoms of Great Britain and Ireland were united.